With a significant portion of its citizens aging rapidly, the issue of elder care in India has taken center stage in the nation’s socio-economic landscape. As the country progresses on the path of modernization and economic growth, understanding the costs of these services becomes crucial. So, how much does elder care cost in India?
The cost of elder care in India depends on the level of care, room type, and term of stay. At-home care services range from INR 15,000 to INR 25,000 per month, while senior living homes fall within the range of INR 12,000 to INR 18,000 per month. Care for conditions like dementia or Alzheimer’s can reach up to INR 2,02,500 annually in urban areas.
Why Is Elder Care Important in India?
Elder care is important in India to uphold cultural values of respect for elders, ensure their well-being, and provide them with dignified and compassionate support during their later years. Moreover, as the population ages, addressing the needs of the elderly becomes a significant societal responsibility, fostering a sense of intergenerational harmony.
What Factors Determine Elder Care Costs in India?
The cost of geriatric care in India can vary significantly depending on several factors. Here is a list of key determinants that influence the expenses associated with caring for the elderly:
- Type of care setting – the type of care facility or setting chosen greatly impacts the costs, as at-home services and nursing homes can have completely different price ranges,
- Level of care needed – the extent of medical attention, personal assistance, and support required by the elderly individual directly affects the overall expenses,
- Location – urban centers often have higher living and healthcare expenses compared to rural areas, and certain southern states such as Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka are experiencing a boom in the elderly population, creating higher demand,
- Staffing and services – the quality and quantity of caregiving staff, medical professionals, and support services provided at the care facility contribute to the overall costs,
- Facilities and amenities – the availability of various amenities and facilities, such as recreational activities, meals, transportation, and special programs, can influence the final pricing,
- Duration of care – long-term care often involves more comprehensive services and is consequently more expensive,
- Insurance coverage – depending on the policy coverage, health insurance can offset some of the elder care costs,
- Government support and subsidies – various government schemes, subsidies, or welfare programs for senior citizens can impact the overall out-of-pocket expenses for elder care.
What Are the Different Types of Elder Care in India?
The elderly are not a homogeneous group – they have a wide range of different needs regarding their wellness and health. As a result, there are various types of geriatric care available, including elder care homes, at-home care services, daycare centers, and facilities that specialize in dementia and Alzheimer’s disease care.
Elder Care Homes
Independent living facilities provide seniors with the freedom to maintain their autonomy and privacy within a secure and supportive community. These homes typically offer recreational activities, dining services, and various amenities to enhance their quality of life.
On the other hand, assisted living facilities are designed for seniors who may require some assistance with daily activities while still valuing their independence. Trained caregivers and medical professionals are available to provide personalized care and support.
At-Home Care Services
In recent years, elderly people have preferred living their final years at home while staying active in their communities. That’s why home-based senior care is becoming more and more popular around the world, including India. These services play a vital role in addressing the needs of those who want to age in the comfort and familiarity of their own homes.
Daycare centers offer a safe and engaging environment where older adults can socialize, participate in activities, and receive necessary support while their primary caregivers are at work or need some respite.
Dementia and Alzheimer’s Care Centers
Lastly, there are specialized facilities dedicated to providing comprehensive care for individuals with cognitive impairments, such as dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. These centers offer a secure environment with specially trained staff who understand the unique challenges faced by those with memory-related conditions.
How Much Does Home Care for Seniors Cost?
At-home care services in India typically range from INR 15,000 to INR 25,000 per month, depending on the type of care and hours required. However, there might be some additional charges for specialized services such as physical therapy.
How Much Does a Care Home Cost in India?
The expenses associated with residing in a senior living home in India typically fall within the range of INR 12,000 to INR 18,000 per month. This amount covers essential necessities like food, accommodation, and other basic amenities provided by the facility. Like at-home care, there might be some additional charges for specialized services.
Cost of Dementia and Alzheimer’s Care in India
In India, the yearly expenses for caregiving of an individual with dementia or Alzheimer’s vary based on the disease’s severity. In urban regions, the cost ranges from INR 45,600 to INR 2,02,500, while in rural areas, they vary from INR 20,300 to INR 66,000.
Government Aid and Insurance for Elder Care in India
Health insurance for senior citizens provided by the Indian government offers comprehensive coverage for elderly individuals. Although some of these plans are offered by state-run insurers, a few are directly managed by the government. Here are some well-known insurance plans:
- United India Senior Citizen Health Insurance,
- The New India Assurance Senior Citizen Mediclaim Policy,
- Pradhan Mantri Ayushman Bharat Yojana (PMABY),
- Varistha Mediclaim Policy For Senior Citizens,
- Health of Privileged Elders (HOPE).
How to Budget for Elder Care in India
Budgeting for elder care in India is crucial to ensure the well-being and quality of life of aging family members. Here are some steps to effectively plan and manage the financial aspects:
- Create a detailed budget that encompasses all the necessary expenses,
- Research various government schemes and insurance plans available in India,
- Consult with financial advisors or elder care experts to gain insights,
- Create an emergency fund specifically for elder care,
- Involve family members and encourage sharing financial responsibility.
Affordable Alternatives for Elder Care in India
One common choice of affordable alternatives is home care, where family members provide assistance and support, reducing the expenses associated with institutional care. Additionally, some NGOs and charitable organizations offer subsidized services, making them more accessible for low-income families.
How to Choose an Elder Care Service in India
Here’s what you need to do to find the right fit for your elderly family member:
- Assess the specific needs of the senior,
- Research and compare different facilities and services,
- Visit some facilities to personally evaluate the environment and staff,
- Read reviews and seek recommendations from friends or relatives,
- Check for licensing, certification, and adherence to safety standards.
What to Expect in the Future: Elder Care Costs in India
All while expanding the existing public health infrastructure, the emphasis should now shift toward enhancing human resources capacity by providing specialized education and training opportunities. By concentrating on these aspects, we can better address the needs of India’s aging population and ensure their well-being and care.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does elder care cost in India?
At-home care services range from INR 15,000 to INR 25,000 per month, while senior living homes fall within the range of INR 12,000 to INR 18,000 per month.
How much do old age homes cost in India?
The prices range from Rs 235,000 for a one-bedroom unit in NCR to Rs. 58 lakh for three-bedroom units in Pune to Rs. 39 lakh to R. 90 lakh in Bengaluru to Rs. 30 lakh to R. 70 lakh in Chennai to Rs. 25 lakh and Rs. 25 lakh up to Rs. 1.18 crore for Coimbatore.
Are old age homes free in India?
Every home funded by the Government is required to accept indigent elderly people and provide them with a free meal. The Government has not been notified of any violence occurring in old-age homes.
How much is senior housing in California?
Genworth’s Cost of Care Survey 2019 estimates that the cost of assisted living in California for 2020 will be $4,500 per month. The average cost of assisted living in California varies by the region, and can range from $3,175 up to $5,853.
Can I live on just Social Security?
While it is not wise to solely rely on social security in retirement, this can still be possible. Social Security was designed to supplement only pensions and retirement savings. However, this is no longer true for many.
What is the most expensive living option for aging adults?
High. CCRCs cost the most of any long-term care option. You will be charged an entrance fee and monthly fees. These costs increase with higher care levels.
How do you build an old age home?
To prevent elders from slipping, bathrooms and toilets should be equipped with rough flooring. For support, railings must be installed. For those who need short-term medical treatment, a separate room must be provided. It is important to build recreation rooms as well as rooms for medical treatment.
How much do nursing homes cost in India?
According to Lall, the costs of setting up nursing homes vary depending on where they are located and what care is required. He said that while a typical nursing home can cost anywhere from Rs 50-60lakh, an investment in an eye-care centre or other facility can run to Rs 1.25-1.50 crore.
What is the home of a senior citizen called?
Sometimes called an elderly home, or an old-age home, a retirement home may also be known as an older people’s residence. However, a nursing home which is multi-residential housing for the elderly can be used.
How much does assisted living cost in India?
Prices for Independent Living units can range between Rs30 lakh and Rs75 lakh. While assisted living is subject to a Rs5 lakh down payment and an approximate Rs45,000 per month rental, this includes food, nursing and furnishing.
How much does it cost to live in a retirement home in India?
High-income senior living units cost around Rs 50-75 Lakhs, while mid-income residents pay Rs 25-50 Lakhs. Low-income seniors can spend Rs 10-25 Lakhs.
Does Iskcon have old age home?
Charitable Old Age Homes Iskcon Temple Rajajinagar , Bangalore.
What is geriatric care at home?
Geriatric care can also be called old-age care. For many, the home is their sanctuary. Many of their memories are attached to the house where they lived during their prime years. This is why many elders prefer to remain at home to avoid moving to a facility for the elderly.
Where is the cheapest place to live on SSI?
1. McAllen, Texas. McAllen Texas is the #1 spot for Social Security checks. It has the highest livability score and the second-lowest rent. The cost of living in McAllen Texas is still almost 12% below the rest of the U.S.
What is the cost of old age home in Chennai?
The monthly cost of these facilities for senior citizens is between Rs 55,000 and Rs 85,000.